The Consumer Product Safety Commission has issued a recall for all colors of the Leopard high chair sold by IKEA after the highchairs were found to be a risk to infants. The Leopard high chairs have faulty snap locks on the seat, which can break, causing the infant to fall. The faulty snap locks also pose a choking hazard, as a small child may place the broken snap lock in their mouth.
The CPSC has received two reports of injuries. A child fell through the high chair after the snap locks failed, causing severe bruising. In another case, a child was found choking on the snap locks after they had come apart from the device.
The recall affects all models of the Leopard high chair. The CSPS asks anyone currently using the high chair to stop use immediately, and take the product back to the IKEA store for a full refund.
This is another of many recent recalls involving baby products that have caused serious injury to children. Recently, the stroller maker, MacLaren, had to recall over two million strollers after the company received reports that 12 children had been injured. The injuries included several finger amputations. The Dorel Juvenile Group, Inc. recalled several car seats after they were found to pose serious injury risk to infants and toddlers during car accidents, and Stork Craft Manufacturing Inc. recalled two million cribs after they were found to cause a strangulation risk.
This recent rash of baby product recalls has many parents considering the safety of their children. If your infant or toddler has been hurt by a defective product, seek medical attention immediately.
About the Editors: Shapiro, Cooper, Lewis & Appleton personal injury law firm (VA-NC law offices ) edits the injury law blogs Virginia Beach Injuryboard, Norfolk Injuryboard, and Northeast North Carolina Injuryboard as a pro bono service to consumers.