The Legal Examiner Mark The Legal Examiner Mark The Legal Examiner Mark search twitter facebook feed linkedin instagram google-plus avvo phone envelope checkmark mail-reply spinner error close
Skip to main content

Numerous buildings at Emerald Point apartments off Great Neck Road in Virginia Beach, Virginia (VA) emitted high levels of carbon monoxide resulting in five people were sent to the hospital for treatment, according to The Virginian-Pilot.

As a personal injury lawyer who’s been practicing law for over 20 years, I’m always concerned about the safety of products and home devices. I’m also concerned about carbon monoxide and our firm has written about carbon monoxide poisoning.

Various appliances can emit high levels of carbon monoxide if used improperly or become damaged. To make matters even worse, carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless substance so it is very difficult to know if you’re being exposed to potent levels.

Here is an informational video by the CDC about carbon monoxide poisoning

These are some important tell-tale signs of carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms, according to the EPA:

  • Severe headaches
  • Dizziness
  • Mental confusion and nausea or faint
  • Shortness of breath

Another important way to help prevent carbon monoxide poisoning is to purchase a carbon monoxide detector. Some homes do not come equipped with such a device but it’s worth the investment, especially if you have fuel-burning appliances.

About the Editors: Shapiro, Cooper Lewis & Appleton personal injury law firm is based in Virginia (VA), near the NE North Carolina (NC) border and handles car,truck,railroad, and medical negligence cases and more. Our lawyers proudly edit the Virginia Beach Injuryboard, Norfolk Injuryboard, and Northeast North Carolina Injuryboard as a pro bono public information service. Lawyers licensed in: VA, NC, SC, WV, DC, KY.

PA

Comments are closed.

Of Interest